House fire devastates family
Updated On: Oct 07 2013 05:08:56 PM CDT
The only thing separating Sandra Baldree's kitchen from the sky is a blue tarp.
The tarp was tied in place Monday morning because fire chewed away parts of the roof at the Pamlico County home Sunday night.
"It's devastating," Baldree said.
Baldree and her husband, Wayne, live at the home with their two teenage boys.
They left ribs unattended on an outdoor grill Sunday evening; flames somehow spread to a nearby shed, then jumped to the home, according to Pamlico County Fire Marshal Chris Murray.
The home is a total loss, Murray said. No one was hurt.
"The flames, immediately, were about 15 feet high," Baldree said.
They did not have insurance because repairs were not yet finished from Hurricane Irene, Baldree said.
She said they plan to continue to somehow live on the property.
"I'm not leaving here, [even] if I have to sleep in a tent," Baldree said.
The Red Cross is helping with family with a temporary place to stay.
Copyright 2013 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.