New Bern
83° F
Clear
Clear
Greenville
81° F
Clear
Clear
Jacksonville
82° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Dryer fire forces couple from apartment

By WCTI Staff
Published On: Dec 30 2012 01:43:33 PM CST
Updated On: Dec 30 2012 01:43:54 PM CST
fire
GREENVILLE -

A couple could not return home Sunday morning following a dryer fire.

Lieutenant Delvin Jackson with Greenville Fire said crews received a call of an apartment on fire around 9:45 a.m. in the 2000 block of Quail Ridge Road. When they arrived, they discovered a dryer on the second floor was on fire. Jackson said crews were able to put out the blaze quickly with fire extinguishers.

Jackson said the occupants told him that they were drying clothes and had moved them from the appliance when the fire started.

Jackson said residents next door were evacuated as a precaution.

Jackson said due to extensive smoke damage, the couple was not able to return home and are staying with friends.

The exact cause of the fire is under investigation. Jackson said they do not consider it suspicious.