New Bern
80° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Greenville
79° F
Haze
Haze
Jacksonville
77° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

Fire officials: Electrical problem caused restaurant fire

By WCTI Staff
Published On: Feb 06 2013 05:14:05 PM CST
Updated On: Feb 07 2013 01:15:49 PM CST
GREENVILLE -

A fire damaged a pizza restaurant and a laundromat in Greenville Wednesday evening.

According to investigators, Marabella Old World Pizza, located on 1898 Greenville Blvd., caught fire at about 5 p.m. The blaze probably started in the kitchen, firefighters said.

"It took us about 15 minutes to get the initial fire down," said Deputy Rescue Fire Chief Eric Griffin, of the Greenville Fire Department. "We did have fire get into the attic and it traveled along the ceiling area and took us around another 45 minutes to get everything knocked down."

The pizza restaurant suffered heavy fire, smoke and water damage. In addition, the blaze caused the business' sign to collapse.

A laundromat next to the restaurant suffered moderate smoke and water damage as well. 

Griffin said fire officials believe the fire started in a back office storage room.  Officials believe the fire was an electrical one.