Fire officials: Grease fire displaces family
Updated On: Feb 25 2013 05:08:15 PM CST
Fire officials said a grease fire displaced a man, woman and one-year-old child.
The incident happened on Westwood Drive; calls came in just after 10:30 a.m. Maguel Parker, who was renting the home, told NewsChannel 12 he was making french fries for his girlfriend and one-year-old daughter when the grease fire started. Fire officials said Parker attempted to extinguish the fire with water, but the fire then spread.
"I wasn't thinking at the time you couldn't put water on grease...It kinda almost splashed back at me. It kinda got bigger. It was burning faster so there was nothing I could really do," Parker said.
Grifton Volunteer Fire Department Chief Edward Meeks said you should never put water directly on grease fires. However, there is something you can do.
"You can put some ice in the pan to cool it down or you can put some baking powder on it. That will help knock it out," Meeks said.
The home looks to be a total loss, according to fire officials. The Red Cross is helping assist the family.
Copyright 2013 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.