Almost 20 treated at hospital after carbon monoxide leak at Food Lion
Updated On: Aug 07 2014 02:18:03 PM CDT
A Food Lion in Pitt County is back open after a carbon monoxide leak early Thursday morning that sent almost 20 people to the hospital.
The carbon monoxide leak happened at about 2 a.m. Thursday at the Food Lion on Highway 258 in Farmville.
Noel Lee, the director of Pitt County Emergency Services, said contract workers were doing renovation work when the leak happened. Their equipment may have caused the leak, Lee said.
One worker passed out, said Town Manager David Hodgkins.
In all, 18 or 19 workers went to Vidant Medical Center for treatment; some went on their own while others were transported by first-responders, said Lee. There was no word on the severity of the injuries.
The Food Lion was closed following the leak, but has since reopened.
Officials with the Department of Labor are investigating.
Copyright 2014 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.