Family escapes house fire
Updated On: Dec 12 2013 11:15:44 PM CST
At least three people escaped a house fire in Pitt County.
According to investigators, the fire was reported on West 4th Street in Greenville at about 9 p.m. Thursday.
Vera Leavy, 75, and her husband, Moses Leavy Junior, 78, were inside the house at the time with their son. They say their son alerted them to the fire while they were watching TV.
Neighbors said a seven or eight-year-old boy lives with the family. It was unclear if he was in the house when the fire started, but he is safe.
The family said they tried to put the fire out with water, but that only made it worse. They said they're just happy to be alive.
"I thank God for saving my life and my family. I really do. I thank him for sparing my right now. 'Cause...it could've been worse," Mrs. Leavy said.
The family said they had a gas heater next to the door where the fire started.
Officials do not believe the house is a total loss, but the family was unable to save anything from the room where the fire broke out.
The Red Cross was helping the family Thursday night.
Fire officials are still investigating.
Copyright 2013 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.