A couple and a young child escaped a fire that destroyed their Craven County home Wednesday morning.
The blaze broke out at about 3 a.m. Wednesday at 6570 River Road.
Candance Morris, the owner of the home, said all she could hear was "oh my God, oh my God and he came back and just threw Devin in my arms." Her, her son Devin and his father, Damien escaped out the back door. "It was just completely engulfed by the time we got out and everybody realized what was going on," she said.
Family members living nearby headed toward the flames, attempting to put them out with garden hoses. Fire crews arrived on scene shortly after.
"Everything's gone. Yeah, everything. But we have our family and each other and that's the most important thing," said Morris. Of the belongings they collected for years she said you "don't realize how much you have until it's gone. Makes you look at things in a totally different way. It really does."
One of those belongings, Morris said, was a birthday present for her son, Devin. His birthday is in a couple weeks. His parents celebrated their birthdays, which are just a day apart, only a week ago.
The fire started on the front porch, investigators said. The father had cleaned out the coals from their wood heater, but did not soak them well enough, which sparked the blaze, according to fire crews.
The Red Cross was called in to help. The family was planning to stay with relatives.