Fire Chief: Combustion causes local plant fire
Updated On: Feb 14 2014 07:48:30 AM CST
A fire broke out at a rendering plant north of Rose Hill in Duplin County Friday morning, according to Rose Hill Fire Chief Clayton Herring.
Officials said the fire was reported at 3:36 a.m. Friday at Valley Protein rendering plant. An agar (a piece of equipment) stopped working and caught on fire, according to the chief. Officials said when they arrived on scene, a production room was fully engulfed in flames
Rendering plants like Valley Protein, get rid of animal by-products and restaurant grease.
Chief Herring said the cause of the fire was a spontaneous combustion. He said no one was hurt.
Copyright 2014 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.