New Bern
52° F
Overcast
Overcast
Greenville
50° F
Overcast
Overcast
Jacksonville
51° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Fireplace contributes to house fire

Published On: Oct 27 2013 06:13:24 PM CDT
fire
PITT COUNTY -

A fireplace, used by a family to stay warm Saturday, contributed to a house fire that displaced that family.

It happened on Oakley Road, near Sweet Gum Grove Church Road, north of Greenville.

The home's chimney failed, which led to a fire in the attic, a fire official said.

The damage rendered the home uninhabitable, the fire official said.

Fire crews got the call at approximately 9:30 p.m.

The two adults and one child who lived in the home must now live elsewhere, due to the damage, a fire official said.

No one was hurt.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.