New Bern
57° F
Clear
Clear
Greenville
54° F
Clear
Clear
Jacksonville
56° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Man found guilty in robbery from 2011

By Kyle Horan
Published On: Oct 10 2013 05:46:27 PM CDT

A man is convicted of a robbery case from two years ago and could face 33 years in prison.

BEAUFORT -

A man is convicted of a robbery case from two years ago and could face 33 years in prison.

Thursday, after an hour in deliberation, a jury found 43-year-old Dennis Young Jackson of two counts of robbery with a deadly weapon. Jackson was charged in 2012 for the 2011 robbery of T&W Oyster Bar in Carteret County.

The owner and employees at the restaurant say two men burst through the door into the restaurant on November 26, 2011 and robbed them and the restaurant of $2,000 cash. The robbers were dressed in black and the only thing visible were their eyes.

Deputies arrested Jackson after a year long investigation and DNA samples from the crime scene linked the crime to Jackson. Jackson pleaded not guilty to the crimes in 2012.

"They knew what they were doing, they got what they came for, but thank god nobody got hurt," said Earl Taylor, owner of T&W, after the trial.

Taylor said some employees were traumatized by the robbery and still fear another one happening.

Jackson will serve a minimum of 7 years in a North Carolina prison.

Jackson was previously convicted of robbery in Maryland. He was charged after he committed a string of robberies in 1992. Jackson served 14 years of a 40 year sentence. Since he violated parole, Jackson will now serve those suspended years as well, a total of 33 years in prison.